Main menu

Pages

Baker Mayfield Calls Out Buccaneers Over Ongoing Contract Dispute in Fiery Comments

Baker Mayfield Calls Out Buccaneers Over Ongoing Contract Dispute in Fiery Comments https://ift.tt/7KZIMUq

The quarterback said he was “not presented with an offer that’s appealing whatsoever” from the Bucs

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Baker Mayfield on July 30, 2026Credit: Mike Carlson/Getty
Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Baker Mayfield on July 30, 2026
Credit: Mike Carlson/Getty


NEED TO KNOW

  • Baker Mayfield said he feels “disrespected” and “undervalued” by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after the team did not meet his deadline for a contract
  • “That’s the really disappointing part — to feel undervalued after thinking you’ve earned it,” Mayfield said on Thursday, July 30
  • The quarterback told ESPN he was most disappointed by the team’s offer for a two-year contract


Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Baker Mayfield said he feels “disrespected” and “undervalued” by the team.

Mayfield, 31, expressed his disappointment in his ongoing contract negotiations with team while speaking to reporters on Thursday, July 30. The quarterback said he “wanted a deal done” and “set the deadline” but was “not presented with an offer that’s appealing whatsoever.”

Mayfield told reporters he’s “very very thankful” for the position he’s in with the Bucs, but said it’s “disappointing in that regard to feel disrespected a little bit, and that’s really the disappointing part — to feel undervalued after thinking you’ve earned it.”

Baker Mayfield on July 29, 2026 in Tampa, FloridaCredit: Mike Carlson/Getty
Baker Mayfield on July 29, 2026 in Tampa, Florida
Credit: Mike Carlson/Getty

The quarterback, who led the Bucs to NFC South titles in 2023 and 2024, said he understands the “value” he’s brought to the organization both as “a leader” and a player, and added, “I deserve to be compensated for that. “

”I think I’m a franchise quarterback. I’ve been told I’m a franchise quarterback. It’s been said publicly from ownership down here,” Mayfield continued, emphasizing, “I said the deadline was the deadline.”

The quarterback told media he won’t continue the negotiations with the team himself, and that his agent won’t “be bothering him with it unless he’s actually recognized for his value.”

After addressing media, Mayfield told ESPN he wanted more long-term commitment from the Buccaneers, and that “probably the most disappointing part” was that they offered him only a two-year deal. He had hoped to reach a new deal before the start of training camp, but he now says contract negotiations will not resume until after the 2026 season.

Baker Mayfield on Oct. 21, 2024 in Tampa, FloridaCredit: Cliff Welch/Icon Sportswire/Getty
Baker Mayfield on Oct. 21, 2024 in Tampa, Florida
Credit: Cliff Welch/Icon Sportswire/Getty


Follow your favorite athletes on and off the field with PEOPLE’s free sports newsletter — sign up now!



Mayfield also told ESPN he “needed to be put in” the category of players making $50 million per year.

“It’s disappointing,” Mayfield said, per ESPN. “I’m not the first one to go through it like this. This is kind of historically how they’ve done negotiations. It’s disappointing when you think you’re a cornerstone of the franchise to be treated like that.”

“But disappointing,” he continued, adding, “I know the contract and salary cap, what’s going on. Franchise tag isn’t exactly in play for them. There’d be a lot of dead money. So it is what it is. And like I said, I’m fortunate, but on the side -- I’m in the best shape I’ve ever been in, in a really good place.”

Mayfield started his NFL career with the Cleveland Browns as the first overall pick in the 2018 draft. After the Browns moved on from Mayfield in 2022, he spent time with the Carolina Panthers and Los Angeles Rams. In 2023, he experienced a career rebound with the Buccaneers and signed a three-year contract extension in March 2024. If he can’t reach a new deal with the Bucs, he could be a free agent in 2027.

You are now in the first article

Comments