Main menu

Pages

NE-YO Says His ‘Let Me Love You’ Songwriting Check Retired His Mom: ‘It Gives You Motivation’

NE-YO Says His ‘Let Me Love You’ Songwriting Check Retired His Mom: ‘It Gives You Motivation’ https://ift.tt/luCZIJa

NE-YO also wrote “Miss Independent” about his mom



NEED TO KNOW

  • NE-YO revealed his song “Miss Independent” was inspired by his mom
  • He also opened up about the moment when he called her to tell her she could retire
  • NE-YO recently released a country-inspired album called Highway 79


NE-YO is opening up a moment when he felt like a proud son.

During an appearance on the Zach Sang Show in July, the 46-year-old singer-songwriter shared a sweet story about how he was able to help his mom retire.

At first, the host asked NE-YO if it was true his song “Miss Independent” was about his mom Loraine Smith — and he confirmed it was.

“I grew up in a house full of women,” the “So Sick” singer began. “These were not women that were waiting to be rescued. These were not dames in distress. They were changing tires and opening pickle jars and squishing spiders and whatever, taking out the trash.”

Loraine Smith and NE-YO in New York City in September 2014Credit: Johnny Nunez/WireImage
Loraine Smith and NE-YO in New York City in September 2014
Credit: Johnny Nunez/WireImage

Describing her reaction to learning the song was about her, NE-YO said she “cried like a baby.”

“It was a beautiful moment,” he said.

Then, he recalled another meaningful moment he shared with his mom: the day he called her to tell her she could retire.

“I called her at work. This was the day I got my first check from [writing] Mario’s ‘Let Me Love You,’ which was a very nice check,” he recalled of his mom, who worked several jobs to keep his family afloat.

NE-YO continued, “[I] told her to get in her car. ‘Turn on your car and drive home. You never have to go back into that building ever again in your life.’”

That day, NE-YO told his mom her days of working “are done” — and it meant the world to be able to do that for her.

“That moment I feel like any son, if you could ever do that for your mom, that’s a defining moment,” he said. “It gives you motivation.”

NE-YO in Stockbridge, Georgia in April 2026Credit: Paras Griffin/Getty
NE-YO in Stockbridge, Georgia in April 2026
Credit: Paras Griffin/Getty

NE-YO released a new country-inspired album called Highway 79 in July.

In an episode of Rolling Stone’s Nashville Now podcast in April, NE-YO opened up about how Nashville embraced him as he explored new sounds.

“It came with all these warnings and all this fear that people were trying to put on me. ‘They’re not real accepting of anything outside of what they do over there. It’s cliquey, and if you don’t know this person or haven’t done this…’ I hate to admit it, but I came out here kind of expecting something like that,” the “Closer” singer said.

Then, he said his experience “has been the exact opposite” — and everyone “has embraced what I’m trying to do with open arms.”

“Everybody’s interested and intrigued about how I’m going to take what I do and what country music is and fuse them together. And everybody’s just been real receptive. So I’m waiting to meet whoever the hell it is that is going to be the bane of my Nashville experience,” he continued.

Comments