The woman says she plans to use the money to take a vacation and help pay off her grandchild’s student loans
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(jpeg)/scratch-off-lottery-ticket-070325-2-e40c17d33a884d74ad2480377d544c66.jpg)
Credit: Getty
NEED TO KNOW
- A 67-year-old Michigan woman, who remained anonymous, followed her instincts and bought tickets from her preferred store
- She ended up winning the game’s top $1 million prize
- As for what’s next, the lucky winner said she plans to buy a truck, take a vacation and pay off her grandchild’s student loans
A Michigan woman knew exactly what she wanted — and hit the jackpot.
A 67-year-old woman from Macomb County, Mich., who chose to remain anonymous, won a $1 million prize playing the 50X instant game — and it was all thanks to her instincts, according to the Michigan Lottery officials.
“My husband and I were at the store and he asked if I wanted to get some lottery tickets while we were there, but I said no because there was a certain party store I wanted to get tickets at,” the woman said in a statement.
She kept to that promise and went to the store — Diamond Dot Market in Clinton Township — the next day, where she bought a few 50X tickets. She then checked to make sure that there were still top prizes up for grabs on the Michigan Lottery website.
“I told my husband there were still two $1 million prizes left, and he said he doubted they were still out there,” she recalled.
But she soon proved him wrong when she scratched one of her tickets and discovered she had in fact won the massive prize.
“When I scratched the ticket and saw the $1 million win, I slid it over to him and said, ‘I told you they were out there!,’ ” she recalled. “We both just sat there in silence for a while because we were stunned. Once it sunk in, we called a few family members to tell them the good news!”
The woman visited Lottery headquarters to claim the big prize, which she chose to receive as a one-time lump sum payment.

Credit: Michigan Lottery
She took home about $693,000 rather than annuity payments for the full amount, according to the Michigan Lottery.
The 67-year-old woman said she plans to enjoy some of her winnings with a new truck and a vacation while also giving back to her family by paying off her grandchild’s student loans.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Players have won more than $48 million playing 50X, which launched in Feb. 2025, according to the Michigan Lottery.
If you or someone you know is struggling with a gambling problem, please contact the National Problem Gambling Helpline Network at 1-800-522-4700 or go to gamtalk.org.
Comments
Post a Comment