Main menu

Pages

Redditor Says They Didn’t Want to Split Restaurant Bill Equally Because Sisters Have Kids, Sparking Debate

Redditor Says They Didn’t Want to Split Restaurant Bill Equally Because Sisters Have Kids, Sparking Debate https://ift.tt/0hemyM4

The kids, including one who is about to be 18, "should be taken into account" when splitting the bill, the Redditor argued

Getty A restaurant check.
Getty A restaurant check.

A Reddit user claims they got pushback from their family after they spoke out about not wanting to split a check evenly since their sisters have children, but they don't.

The user, who goes by the handle "taenuts" on the social network, alleged in a post on the "AITA" subreddit this week that the topic came up when the siblings were talking about inviting their mom to lunch and "splitting the expenses in 3 parts."

"Both of them have 2 kids each while I don’t," the user said. "Given past (bad) experiences where the kids were not contemplated in the bill... I told them I did not like the idea of splitting in 3 since their kids should be taken into account."

Related: Story Goes Viral of Wife Cheating After Husband Donated His Kidney, but Some Commenters Have Heard That Before

The Redditor, who claimed to be in their 20s, while their sisters were both older, noted that the "kids are not babies" — and one was about to turn 18.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

However, the social media user said their sisters "did not like" that idea "and called me confrontational."

"My mom even found out and took their side, as per usual," the Redditor added.

Related: Customer Who Ordered a Single Beer at Cleveland Restaurant Leaves $3,000 Tip for Staff

The social media user said it wasn't the first time they had this experience with their siblings. On a previous family trip, they claimed they had to pay "a third" of the total expenses, which included their mo and one of their sister's husbands and kids.

"My mom begged me to not say anything to not start a fight but now I think I’ve held my silence for long," they wrote. "So, the question is, AITA for wanting the bill to be split differently considering I don’t have kids and I’m only paying for my share and my mom’s?"

The PEOPLE Puzzler crossword is here! How quickly can you solve it? Play now!

In the comments section, many took the Redditor's side and offered up their own suggestions.

"They want you to subsidize their grown a-- childrens' meals? Screw that, you pay for what you eat," one user wrote. "And please, stop dining with your sisters (if you are forced to, again, ask for a separate check and don't let them guilt you into anything.)"

Another suggested, "Take your mother to a special brunch or painting class or some other nice treat for mother's day. If she will not agree to go with you for a solo outing, that is her choice. It does not obligate you to join a group outing that doesn't work for you."

A third user told the Redditor to ask for a "separate check" in similar situations.

"Then contribute some cash toward your mom’s meal," they continued. "When they complain, laugh and say 'I do understand why you want me to pay for your kids’ meals, but I’m sure you understand why I’m not going to do that.' ”

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.

Comments