Main menu

Pages

Beanie Feldstein Reveals Which“ Grey's Anatomy” Characters Were Part of Her 'Gay Awakening'

Beanie Feldstein Reveals Which“ Grey's Anatomy” Characters Were Part of Her 'Gay Awakening' https://ift.tt/QUElBKO

The 'Lady Bird' actress revealed there was one couple she “was obsessed [with] .... on a different level"

Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Beanie Feldstein on January 12, 2020 in Santa Monica, California
Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Beanie Feldstein on January 12, 2020 in Santa Monica, California

Beanie Feldstein revealed to a Grey's Anatomy star that she was a part of her gay awakening.

Feldstein, 31, joined Grey’s Anatomy alums Jessica Capshaw and Camilla Luddington on the Monday, Sept. 23 episode of their podcast Call It What It Is, and revealed to Capshaw, 48, that her character of Dr. Arizona Robbins was a part of her “gay awakening.” 

"Feel like I need to bring into this space, but looking back, definitely, Calzona was my gay awakening,” Feldstein shared, referring to the nickname for the relationship between Arizona and Callie Torres (Sara Ramírez). “I just didn't see it."

As fans of the hit ABC medical drama may recall, Callie was married to Dr. George O’Malley (T.R. Knight) before coming out as bisexual. Arizona and Callie later got together in season 6 and tied the knot the following season.

The American Crime Story: Impeachment star — who married wife Bonnie Chance Roberts in 2023 — continued telling the cohosts that she “was obsessed....on a different level.” Noting, “Looking back, I'm like, oh, there are so many kind of signs. I think a lot…”

Related: Sara Ramírez Pitched for Their 'Grey's Anatomy' Character Dr. Callie Torres to Be Bisexual

<p>Ron Tom/Disney/GETTY</p> (L-R) Sara Ramírez and Jessica Capshaw in "Grey's Anatomy."

Ron Tom/Disney/GETTY

(L-R) Sara Ramírez and Jessica Capshaw in "Grey's Anatomy."

As Feldstein explained how the former fictional couple had a real impact on her, the Booksmart actress discussed her own experience coming out. 

“It wasn't that I was, like, keeping something inside that I was not letting out,” she said. “It was like I hadn't put the pieces that had been clicked in together in my own body.” 

"And then the second I knew, I came out kind of immediately, once I figured out because I'm incapable of keeping anything inside my brain, body. I'm an extremely external person....,” she added.

Related: Beanie Feldstein Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' as an Eager New Intern

<p>Steve Granitz/WireImage</p> Beanie Feldstein and Bonnie Chance Roberts on January 04, 2020 in Los Angeles, California. (

Steve Granitz/WireImage

Beanie Feldstein and Bonnie Chance Roberts on January 04, 2020 in Los Angeles, California. (

She also remarked how that is “a much more common queer experience than I think people talk about often.” Feldstein added that the hospital drama also “did a great job” depicting a similar journey with Callie Torres’ path. “You think you're one thing; everyone tells you one thing, and you're not mad at that thing,” she said. “It's just something maybe doesn't feel a 100% right.” 

“It wasn't like I was like you know, the men I've dated in the past, I have great fondness for,” the Lady Bird actress said. “They were good, nice people, and everything was fine, but there was just something missing."

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Grey's Anatomy season 21 premieres Sept. 26 at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.

Comments