The actress is pregnant and expecting her third child with husband Adam Shulman
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(jpeg)/anne-hathaway-091026-861cf971a76c4d259ec5c96c819ea47b.jpg)
Credit: Gilbert Flores/Variety via Getty
NEED TO KNOW
- Anne Hathaway, who is pregnant, wanted to appear on Hot Ones while promoting her new film Verity, but was not able to
- She said her doctor advised against appearing on the popular interview show, which sees guests eat spicy wings
- The doctor told Hathaway not to do the show because she “might go into early labor,” she said in a Verity interview
Anyone waiting to see Anne Hathaway take on the wings of death is just going to have to wait a little longer.
The 43-year-old actress, who is currently pregnant and expecting her third baby with husband Adam Shulman, explained why she was unable to appear on Hot Ones during her press tour for Verity — despite wanting to, since the popular interview show is also featured in the film itself.
While promoting the Colleen Hoover adaptation in an interview with the Talk of the Townsends podcast hosts Hannah and Benedict Townsend, Hathaway revealed that she wanted to enjoy some spicy wings as a Hot Ones guest in real life, but her doctor forbade it.
As her character, renowned author Verity Crawford, Hathaway told the hosts she “did the first three wings for real, and then I switched to dummy wings.”
“And then I thought that I was gonna be able to do the Hot Ones challenge to do press for this film because it just made sense,” the actress explained. “But then I got pregnant, and my doctor said I couldn’t do it because I might go into early labor.”
“So I still haven’t done the gauntlet yet,” she said of appearing on the Sean Evans-hosted show. “I’m not sure when that’s gonna happen.”
The actress, for whom Verity marks her fifth film of 2026, then added: “Maybe next year.”
The topic of Hathaway avoiding spicy wings while pregnant to avoid early labor — spicy food is commonly used to help kick-start labor, per Healthline — arose in the actress’ chat with Talk of the Townsends while discussing the press tour that occurs in Verity.

Credit: Alisha Wetherill/Amazon MGM Studios
Some of the on-screen press appearances her character makes, including the Hot Ones interview, were added after the Devil Wears Prada star suggested them, she told the podcast hosts.
“Alex Cooper and Call Her Daddy was scripted, and then I, just, in a production meeting, said, ‘Is that enough to establish Verity as an iconic cultural figure?’ Because in my head, if we could do something like, I don’t know, get a Gayle King interview and Hot Ones, that would be kind of the triple crown trifecta,” Hathaway explained to the Talk of the Townsends hosts.
As for whether Hathaway herself would actually participate in the wing-eating, the star said she didn’t want to — and compared it to an actor having their first kiss on-screen.
“It was a big conversation about whether or not I would. ‘Cause I’ve never done it before,” Hathaway explained. “I’ve never done the 10-piece gauntlet.”
She continued, “You don’t want your first kiss ever in your life to be like an on-screen kiss. You want that to be, like, a real thing where you’re not playing a character at the same time as experiencing something physically.”

Credit: Amazon MGM Studios/YouTube
Hathaway stars in Verity, which arrives in theaters on Oct. 2, alongside Dakota Johnson and Josh Hartnett.
Based on Hoover’s 2018 novel of the same name, the film will tell the story of struggling writer Lowen (Johnson), who is on the verge of financial ruin and lands a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to finish a successful series by the titular bestselling author Verity Crawford (Hathaway). Hartnett plays Verity’s husband, Jeremy.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Hathaway — who is already mom to sons Jonathan, 10, and Jack, 6 — first announced that she was pregnant in June and went on to show off her baby bump in a series of fashionable looks while promoting The Odyssey and The End of Oak Street.
She later revealed on Jimmy Kimmel Live! in August that she and Shulman, 45, know the sex of their third baby but are “not saying.”
Comments
Post a Comment